A unique opportunity with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Victoria for aspiring young journalists and storytellers has been advertised.
The ABC will provide two interns with a 12-week paid internship at the ABC’s Melbourne headquarters, to be undertaken before July 2019.
Each intern will complete three rotations each for four weeks in news production (metro), radio (metro) and the regional division. The rotations will be adapted to the skill and interests of the intern.
As an intern, you will be expected to:
- Develop an understanding of each department you are placed in across the ABC.
- Carry out tasks as required by your work placement supervisor
- Cooperate with other team members to achieve work outcomes.
- Actively participate in any team meetings.
- Complete any documentation requirements for the relevant work area.
The successful applicants will have:
- An enquiring mind and a passion for finding and telling stories.
- A strong engagement with issues and how they affect people and communities.
- Well-developed research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, with a particular emphasis on the use of concise and accurate language.
- Strong interest in news and information.
- Ability to work well in a team and take direction.
All applications should include a resume and either a cover letter or a link to a video file addressing the following questions (written responses must not exceed 200 words per question or 2 minutes per question for video files):
- Tell us about your lived experience as a young culturally diverse Australian?
- Do you believe current media narratives and reporting of culturally diverse Australia accurately reflects the community?
- If you had the opportunity to meet with ABC bosses, would you offer any feedback on how diversity is represented in the media and what would it be?
- What are you hoping to achieve by undertaking this internship program?
The closing date for applications is 12 November 2018.
To learn more or apply to this opportunity, follow this link.