Modern Fishing magazine is the country’s biggest and most widely-read and respected fishing magazine.
As a journalist for Modern Fishing no two days will ever be the same. One day you will be interviewing Australia’s best anglers on their favourite techniques before sitting down to write a feature. The next you’ll be on the bow of a tinny in the Top End with a photographer, shooting photos for a travel and tips and techniques article, or reviewing boats on the Gold Coast. The next week you may be casting poppers in the Coral Sea or researching the best DIY modifications for any fishing boat.
The right person will;
- Have a genuine understanding and love for fishing and boating, and what that entails
- Understand the trends of the Australian fishing industry and be passionate about working with key media partners
- Be able to work that understanding into every article to relate topics back to our readers
- Be able to work with other journalists, photographers, advertisers and the fishing industry to develop press ready articles
- Have strong written communication skills
- Have excellent planning and organisational skills
- Be able to work unsupervised and to strict deadlines
- Work well in a team environment where communication, enthusiasm and attention to detail are key
All training will be provided on the job as you work. No publishing or journalism experience or qualifications are necessary. You’ll also be sub-editing other people’s articles, so strong writing skills and an extensive knowledge of the English language is essential. An ability to work with digital media would be considered a plus.
The role is based in our Silverwater, NSW office and is mostly kept to a Monday-Friday timetable, however, weekend work and travel will be a significant part of this role. Salary is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
Please include a cover letter outlining what you can offer us in this role, as well as 500 words on the topic, ‘my most memorable fishing experience,’ in Modern Fishing’s writing style.
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org