This morning the Queen released a statement responding to Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.
The Queen said the royal family is saddened to learn about how challenging the past few years have been for Meghan and Harry, and the couple and Archie would always be much loved family members.
The Queen said that the issues raised in the interview, particularly that of race, are concerning.
“Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately,” she said.
Pressure had been building on the Palace to release a response after Meghan and Harry’s interview first aired on March 7. Royal correspondent Daniela Relph told BBC Breakfast that it was becoming increasingly unsustainable for the Palace to saying nothing at all.
In the interview, Markle discussed life as a royal, marriage and motherhood. Markle claimed that she was mistreated by the royals during her time in the Palace and that she felt “trapped” and that she considered suicide or self-harm.
Meghan also disclosed during the interview that an unnamed member of the royal family had asked Harry “how dark” the skin of their unborn child, would be. Harry later clarified that neither the Queen nor Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, had made the comments.
The interview was watched by 12.4 million people in the UK and more than 17 million in the US.
Photo: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office available HERE and used under a Creative Commons Attribution. The image has not been modified.