Mexican officials have announced that two of the four Americans kidnapped at a Mexican border city have been found dead, while two were found alive.
Tamaulipas Attorney General Irving Barrios confirmed the victims had been found on Twitter.
“The four American citizens deprived of their liberty were found on Friday. Unfortunately, two [are] dead. Investigative and Intelligence work continues towards capturing those responsible,” he wrote.
The four Americans from North Carolina crossed the border at Texas into the city of Matamoros, which is known for its high crime rate, on Friday in their white minivan.
The four Americans were later found at a medical clinic in Matamoros.
An official has said one of the two survivors was shot in the left leg and the other survivor was unharmed.
The governor also said the victims were moved several times by kidnappers to various parts of the city to hide from authorities.
The four Americans travelled to Mexico with plans to accompany one of them for abdominoplasty surgery.
U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said that cartels are responsible for the deaths of Americans and that the Justice Department is “working closely” with the U.S. State Department.
The FBI had offered a $US50,000 ($76,000 AUD) reward for the arrest of the kidnappers.
Photo: Border Crossing, Matamoros, Mexico by Terry Ross found HERE and used under a Creative Commons Licence (CC BY-SA 2.0). The image was not modified.