The Walkley Foundation is the professional development arm of the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance. The foundation administers the Walkley Awards, Australia’s most prestigious accolades for journalism, and also organises training and development programs for journalists and other media professionals.
Internships are open to third and fourth year students with a journalism, events management, public relations, digital media or photo-journalism tertiary focus. If you are in your final year, are passionate about Australian journalism, have a can-do attitude and a variety of skills you’re keen to hone, we want to hear from you!
What will you work on?
Depending on the time of year in which an internship falls, interns assist on a variety of projects with the marketing, communications, social media and event operations for our key program areas including:
- Recognising Excellence: The Walkley Awards Program (includes Young Australian Journalist of the Year, Super Student Award and the annual Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism)
- Community Building and Networking: Conferences Program (includes our annual Public Affairs Conference, Freelance Conference and Media Conference)
- Photography Program (includes the annual Nikon-Walkley Photo Exhibition national tour, Art & About and our annual Slide Nights in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane)
- Training & Development Program (a series of national training courses focussing on the online social media skills our members need now and for the future)
- Promoting Press Freedom (centred around our annual Australia Press Freedom Media Dinner)
- Encouraging Long-Form Journalism: The Walkley Book Program (includes the Walkley Book Award and collaboration with writers’ festivals throughout Australia and the Asia Pacific region)
These programs are developed for MEAA members who comprise journalists, photographers, public affairs professionals, freelancers and other media representatives. The Walkley Foundation also produces a bi-monthly publication The Walkley Magazine and, depending on the timing of an internship, interns may have the opportunity to attend production meetings and write news bites for print and our website.
How long is an internship?
A standard internship is three weeks, full-time in our Sydney office; however there are opportunities for longer term placements for 1-2 days a week over a few months if you are based in Sydney. Internships are unpaid; however successful applicants from interstate or from regional areas of NSW may apply for a living allowance of $200/week for a maximum of three weeks.
How to apply?
- Your current CV
- Your dates of availability for the internship
- A 100-word statement about why you would like to work at the Walkleys