Close this search box.

Monday sports round-up

All the sports headlines from the weekend

Round 7 of the AFL

The AFL kicked off another round on Friday night with St Kilda taking on Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium.

St Kilda got off to a quick start and went into the first break with a three-goal lead, however, the next quarter would be all Port Adelaide who kicked all four goals of the quarter and stole the lead going into the main break.

The second half would be a back-and-forth contest which saw the lead change hands multiple times, But it would be Port Adelaide who would come out as victors as they defeated the Saints by seven points.

On Saturday afternoon, fans witnessed a classic in the “Battle of the Bridge” as the Greater Western Sydney Giants stole victory over rivals the Sydney Swans.

The first half of the match was a tight contest between the two sides with the margin not exceeding three goals and GWS going into the main break with a 10-point lead.

Sydney would then break away in the third quarter and midway through the fourth, had a lead of more than 20 points.

However, GWS would not back down, and the Giants would score four unanswered goals including a last-minute winner from captain Toby Greene to give GWS a one-point win.

On Sunday, it was the highly anticipated match-up between the Adelaide Crows and the Collingwood Magpies.

Adelaide came into the round with a league-best four-game win streak and Collingwood as the premiership favourites.

The Crows got off to a hot start as they dominated the Pies who went into quarter-time goalless, however, poor accuracy from Adelaide across the entire match would keep Collingwood in the game.

Despite being down for the entire game, a behind from Steele Sidebottom with thirty seconds to go gave Collingwood a one-point lead and ultimately the win.


West Tigers win first game of the season

In the NRL, the West Tigers have claimed an unbelievable victory as they defeated reigning premiers, the Penrith Panthers in Bathurst.

The Tigers came into the match winless in their opening seven matches and were seen as overwhelming underdogs.

However, this title was quickly thrown out the window as the Tigers drew first blood in the second minute through Brandon Wakeham.

Penrith would then find an equaliser only eight minutes later with a try from Tyrone Peachy and would then go on to take the lead with a penalty goal converted by Stephen Crichton.

The West Tigers would then level the scores on the stroke of half-time with a penalty goal scored by the opening try scorer Wakeham.

A 49th-minute try from David Nofoaluma would give the Tigers the lead and ultimately the win as they were able to claim all points under slippery conditions out west.


Liverpool claim last-minute victory

Liverpool has survived a come-from-behind defeat as they notched a 4-3 victory over Tottenham in unbelievable circumstances.

The Reds got off to a blistering start and after 15 minutes, found themselves up 3-0 thanks to goals from Curtis Jones, Luis Díaz and Mohamed Salah.

The game looked to have been wrapped up, however, the Spurs were able to claw themselves back into the match thanks to goals from star duo Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.

A 93rd-minute equaliser from Richarlison looked to have split the points, however, less than a minute later, Liverpool claimed a late winner through Diogo Jota.

Photo: The Big Football by Rmcdonell is available HERE. The photo has been modified.

Share this post:

Related Articles

Editor's Picks