Four teenagers arrested after police chase along the Monash Freeway.

29 March 2017

Written by: Samantha Camilleri

Four teenagers have been arrested following chase in Melbourne's south-east.

Four teenagers believed to be from Dandenong were arrested yesterday, after a dramatic car chase along Melbourne’s south-east suburbs and through the Monash freeway.

The car chase ended when the stolen car collided with two other vehicles at an intersection in Hawthorn.

Two men and two women were arrested at the scene in Hawthorn, on the corner of Glenferrrie and Riversdale road.

It is believed the car was stolen from Dandenong around 2.30pm. It was first spotted by police as it was speeding along Heatherton Road in Dandenong.

The chase began as the car travelled down the Monash Freeway, before exiting at Burnley.

Less than an hour later the stolen car had crashed with another two cars in Hawthorn.

Witnesses reported that the car was speeding along the wrong side of the road.

One witness named Claire told radio station 3AW it was “the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen in my life”.

“A car with … youths in it travelling east along Riversdale Road [in Hawthorn] was completely on the wrong side of the road, probably doing 60 to 70km/h,” she said.

“The police then [arrived] probably two or so minutes later in a white unmarked car, also chasing them also up the wrong [side of the] road. [They] appeared a fair distance behind.”

“Two of them were apprehended on the footpath and numerous other ones got away, running through properties and down Glenferrie Road, escaping.”

Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

Statistics released by the Crime Statistics Agency Victoria show that theft has had an increase in Victoria of 15.9 per cent in the last year.

The statistics also show Greater Dandenong has had an increase of 3.4 per cent in crime.

The incident caused major delays during peak-hour traffic with Riversdale and Glenferrie roads being closed to traffic for 90 minutes.

Tram routes 16 and 72 were suspended, but resumed just after 5.30pm.